Let’s face it. Most people don’t need many reasons for having orgasms. It’s one of those wonderful little gifts nature gives us that needs no instruction manual, accessories, or certifications. It comes to us hard-wired, up-to-date, and primed for use as soon as we’re ready. It’s still somewhat taboo to talk about, let alone celebrate, but writing and reading erotic stories gives me a special appreciation for them.
On this blog, I’ve already talked about the unexpected health benefits of BDSM and the benefits of sexual promiscuity. Those benefits may be surprising to some, but I doubt anyone is surprised to hear that there are actual health benefits to orgasms. On some levels, I think we all know that. Nature wouldn’t make them feel so good or urge us to seek them so passionately if there weren’t some benefits.
That kind of simple logic isn’t enough for some people though. Science likes to verify things, even if they’re intuitive. Sometimes the results are shocking. In this case, however, I don’t think anyone will be surprised to hear that there are substantial health benefits to an orgasm.
And before the uptight, overly conservative, sex-negative crowd (who probably don’t read this blog in the first place), let me just say this. No, these benefits aren’t contingent of two people being married, the same gender, or even in the same room. Nature can only be so elaborate when it comes to politics. Orgasms, as a whole, are as non-partisan as they come.
The fine folks at WebMD compiled a short list of just a few. I think they’re worth citing, if only to inspire those who love romance and erotica.
1. Orgasms Keep Your Immune System Healthy – Beats chicken noodle soup, that’s for sure
2. Boosts Your Libido – Makes too much sense, but nice for science to verify it just in case
3. Improves Women’s Bladder Control – Anyone who’s been on a road trip knows this is a good skill to have
4. Lowers Your Blood Pressure – How can anyone be tense after an orgasm?
5. Counts as Exercise – Needs way less motivation than a treadmill
6. Lowers Heart Attack Risk – Much better than giving up fried foods
7. Lessens Pain – Perfect balance when you think about it
8. May Make Prostate Cancer Less Likely – For men, it counts as medicine and no prescription required
9. Improves Sleep – It’s basically nature’s tranquilizer dart
10. Eases Stress – Again, how can anyone be tense after an orgasm?
So for the good of your health, people, have more orgasms! I’ll try to do my part with my books, but we must all do ours as well. The benefits to orgasms are, quite literally, in our hands.